Friday 18 December 2015

It's nearly a year!

How are you all?

It's nearly a year since I've been working at the Hills Clinic. It's an honor to work at the Clinic, meeting many young adult and adult patients in our music therapy groups. In groups, a lot of patients will mention that they "don't know how to play any musical instruments", or "how can music help us?". Many will come into the group with tears and a troubled face. However, after a few group sessions of singing along, playing, improvising and even song writing together, they reflected that music therapy has played a very influential role in their journey.

Here are some reflections from some patients:
"I never knew that I could relate myself with music in this way- I never really listen to, sing or play music... but today, I cried. I didn't know that music can be so important to me. I didn't know I could emotionally feel in this way. It affects and changes me so much! "

"Music is an escape from reality. It is a place I can go to that allows me to express my feelings without judgement or further interaction. There is always a song for how I am feeling."

"I find music therapy very helpful. it relaxes me and takes me out of my comfort zone. Even though I don't play any instruments, the choice of musical equipments in the music therapy group gives an opportunity for everyone to contribute."

Art and Music is a special gift for Human beings. Through art and music, patients are able to see another perspective of themselves. They are able to see their lives more clearly, and express things that words cannot. It's a joy to see smiles of patients when they are making music together, their eagerness to sing out loud even in a group, and to be mutually sharing about songs that has encouraged them. I sincerely hope that through allied health therapies, we can continue to work together for a better service and recovery for our patients.

Last but not least, I would like to share some lyrics that a group of adult patients wrote together:

Safe and Sound
"Our way is clear let us travel
Support is the net that will never unravel
Catch, hold, whenever you fall
When you feel you are broken
Your loved ones will help you belong."

May I wish you to have an amazing, blessed new year ahead!

Best regards,
Hanna
Registered Music Therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment